Cabbage and Cucumber, Sesame Salad
Sesame oil together and sushi vinegars make a wonderful low calorie dressing. If you learn to julienne the cucumber, it would be very useful as you can use it for cold Japanese pasta and many other Japanese dishes.
- 500 cc (2 cups) shredded cabbage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cucumber (if Japanese one, use 1)
- Red cabbage-sprouts to garnish
- [ Dressing ]
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sushi vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sesame
- 1 tbsp vinegar (wine vinegar is fine)
- Salt to taste
- Mix the sauce in the bowl.
- Shred the cabbage. Julienne the cucumber.
- Sprinkle the salt over the cabbage and gently work it into the cabbage with your hands until the cabbage starts to soften. Add to the bowl together with fresh vegetables.
I picked up these flowers from the street. Tokyo appears to be the concrete jungle. But we have a lot of beautiful things around us.