Clam and Burdock Root Rice
Littleneck clams are in season right now in Japan! Ordinarily, when cooking rice, you cook one part rice with 1.1 parts water. In this case, though, burdock root and clams provide moisture, so you’ll start with 1:1 rice water, then, remove the volume of the seasonings from the amount of water used.
- 360 ml short-grain rice
- 300 ml water
- 100 g chicken thigh
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup minced burdock root or carrot
- 2 cups asari clams or steamer clams
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5 shiso leaves
- Wash the rice, then let rest in a strainer for 30 minutes. Soak the burdock roots in water.
- Put the rice, water and seasonings in a pot, then sprinkle with the chopped burdock root, clams, and ground chicken on top.
- Cover and heat on high. When it now comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 13 minutes.
- When it finishes cooking, gently stir the rice together and portion in individual bowls.
- Top with chopped shiso and serve.